My third breakout session of the day, and finally a bit of breathing room! I’m plugged in and so far the network is backed up (having a bit of tech issues here….) This presentation, Plain Language Needed: Understanding PLN focuses on getting your personal learning network up and running! Here are my notes:
Stephanie Madlinger @cyberteacher- St. Louis, Mo
Cindy Lane @clane
These two women (both google certified teachers) are inspirations to me- I’d love to follow similar career paths.
http://www.oovoo.com/ is an alternative to Skype.
Chris Brogan (blogging guru) states that information much be: dynamic, localized, atomized, relevant, etc.)
PLN is Personal Learning Network (sometimes referred to as Professional Learning Network)
· Created by user (what about pre-creating or twitter lists?)
· Virtual community, common interests, open membership or closed (depending), they will help you but you will probably never meet.
· Interesting visuals about how network will grow.
· 600 tweets per second!
· Tweetups, Twibes & Twubs
· You have to reply to people, RT, and engage with people- not just sharing your own stuff.
· It’s not taken personally if don’t follow, unfollow, or follow people.
· Stephanie tries to keep her following to 300-400 people.
· Follow RT ettiquite- it is a way of “siting your sources” and an untold rule of curisy
· private sites, like your own community FaceBook
· thousands of Nings, like the ICE conference Ning.
· check out the website, http://skypeanauthor.wetpaint.com/